So Many WIPs…

Generally speaking, I try to avoid having too many projects in-progress. I don’t like thinking about all those things that I’ve started but haven’t finished yet. Unfortunately, right now I have quite a few WIPs–many more than I would prefer to have ongoing. It might not be very many for others knitters and crocheters who live for the thrill of a new project, but it’s too many for me. Unfortunately, I’m not at a good point to finish any of them up!

My oldest WIP is from July 2014–the tiny wild rose hand puff. It’s a Tiny Owl Knits pattern: tiny violet hand puff. I haven’t made any progress on this since April of this year… because I ran out of yarn and haven’t bought more. It’s easy for me to stall when I have a project that needs more yarn, since I’ve been trying to work down my stash of yarn. I know that it probably would be a good idea to buy more yarn and finish this, but every time I start to buy the yarn I need I can’t go through with it.

That’s the same problem I’ve had with this other muff: forest leaf muff. It dates from the same period as the other hand-cozy, although it’s been on hiatus longer. I also ran out of yarn and haven’t had the motivation to buy more.

Continue reading

WIP Wednesday: Mitten Lining

These aren’t necessarily one of my “longest” projects, but I’ve been working on these mittens off-and-on for a few months now. I’ve taken a number of breaks to work on things such as Mother’s Day gifts, etc. Now that the weather is generally warmer (although it keeps taking a few dips into chillyness, brr!❄️) I’m not as motivated to work on warm hand coverings like mittens… but I also don’t dislike this project, so it’s not torture.

The mittens themselves were finished at the end of April for the first and the end of May for the second. After seeing the Northman Mittens with their cozy alpaca lining, I knew I wanted mittens for myself with cozy alpaca lining. (And it just so happened that I had some appropriate alpaca yarn that I bought from another Ravelry user in the fall of last year!) I’ve never knit lined mittens, but it was easier than I thought–or so I think, I guess, until it’s time to turn the lining into the mitten. That will really be the “moment of truth”!

I decided to knit the thumb of the lining before finishing the rest. I thought it would be easier to weave the ends in. (And I’m glad I did, because it was!) I fiddled some weird increases and decreases for the thumb–they’re not pretty, but it impacts the fit in a good way. I’m not really a fan of thumbs without gussets, so even though the outer mitten lacks a gusset, I tried to insert a small gusset to the lining to avoid too much stretch and wear around the thumb area. I’m really curious to see how it works out~! ♥