WIP Wednesday: I Swear It Looks Nicer

https://instagram.com/p/9-NbhVjqN3/Yesterday I started a new project, instead of working on something that was unfinished. There was a little bit of guilt involved, but not too much, because the project I started will be fairly quick and really ought to have been done much sooner. My little sister really liked the Dragon Watcher’s Hood I made for myself, and requested one in a different colour. I agreed to do so if she purchased the yarn. This happened in April and I’ve just been the slowest of slowpokes.

250px-079Slowpoke

This is me, the slowest of all Slowpokes. Crown Princess of keeping yarn for a while and letting other things distract her.

I knew it wouldn’t take me all that long, so I started thinking about it when the weather started to gradually cool off. We’ve had a very long warm season. Even when it was October it really wasn’t chilly enough for hats or mittens, so the demand for a hood didn’t quite pop up. Eventually it started to fluctuate and cool down–at that point a few subtle reminders about the things I promised to make started to flutter my way. I wanted to work on a few other things first, mostly because I had so many things on the needles in various stages of completion, but I knew that I needed to start working on this hood. I considered starting it a few weeks ago, but I realized that my size 15 circular needle tips were on loan to a friend. I could have started it on straights, but that didn’t seem worth it.

Continue reading

In the Nick of Time

https://instagram.com/p/8_XUAijqBO/I continued working on the over-ambitious baby dress… and I finished it at the last possible moment that I could do so. I was that person at the birthday party with an unfinished project in her tote bag, sitting at the table and sewing nonstop.

There was a significant amount of “knitting black hole” for the skirt portion of the dress. I could see that I was knitting a round and then another, but the progress didn’t actually appear to exist when I measured it. I finished the body of the dress the day before the party and crocheted on the trim. Then I washed it and laid it out to dry while crocheting the flowers it is embellished with. My original plan was to have the darker colour at the center of the flowers and the lighter colour at the outer edge. I reversed the order when assembling the flowers and didn’t have time to go back. I stayed up extremely late working on the flowers.

Rose and Lace Toddler DressI thought I could sew them on in the morning before the party, but I didn’t have time to weave in the ends. My flowers are spaced with a greater density on the front than on the back. I only made 24, as the pattern mentioned, because I just didn’t have time to make any more. I wanted them to be very close on the front portion. I opted for buttons with little ducks on them because the birthday girl likes duckies. It took me basically the whole party to weave the ends in. But at last, it was done! ♥