WIP Wednesday: The First of a Few Green Hats

Dark Green Hat

The hat that I started the other day is now complete~! It was my project for WIP Wednesday, but it also became a FO on Wednesday.

It’s hard to show the fit and style of this hat from a flat picture of my completed project. It’s a cloche hat, from Boutique Knits. I bought that book a few years ago, but I still really like making the projects from it. I hadn’t made one in a while, so when I saw that there were a few options that matched well enough with the weight of yarn I was aiming to use, it seemed like a good opportunity~

However, I still have more of this same green yarn… so I’ll be continuing with other hats. (I contemplated making the same hat multiple times, but I think that would be too boring!)

Current State of Knitting

Photo Jul 21, 9 47 05 PM (1) editWhen I finished the Aran sweater, I only had one ball of that Irish yarn left. After thinking about it for a bit, I knit it into a small cabled tea cozy for one of my 4-cup teapots.

After that, I finally got around to a baby hat that I had agreed to knit for someone back in January… (I do not do much knitting by request, because I don’t seem to actually enjoy it and therefore I procrastinate on it as much as humanly possible. That is exactly what happened here, and the hat only took me a few hours to complete. I always forget how quick some crochet projects are…)

Continue reading

Conquering the Sweater of Doom

Sort of Like a SweaterIt might seem as though I started an epic cabled sweater and halted, but that is far from the truth. I have been slaving away on the cabled sweater made with Irish yarn for weeks. “Slaving away” implies that it was an unfortunate encounter, but that’s far from the truth. It was a lot of work, but it was work that I really enjoyed. I did not enjoy ripping sections out, but I enjoyed the satisfaction of re-knitting them and seeing the new piece lacking the flaws of the old. It was that kind of project~

This sweater involved a lot of my time because the size just kept seeming kind of strange, no matter how many times I measured and calculated and tested. I held the body pieces up against my torso to test that they were the correct size, and they seemed okay… only to look oddly-sized when laid down.

The sleeves caused me the most trouble–they were simply too wide for my arms per the pattern instructions, and I had a few false starts trying to get a width that made sense for my body.

Continue reading